If you are time-rich but cash-poor, building a DIY website for yourself or your business can be a viable alternative to hiring a designer, but when using tools intended for professionals, getting started can be the hardest part. Over the course of a day, we will walk you through the jargon and teach you the basic technical skills and concepts you’ll need to put together an impressive professional-quality site using WordPress, the internet’s most popular content management system.
The day will be split between learning and hands-on website building. With a group-size of no more than six, your day will be tailored as far as possible to you and your fellow participants’ individual needs and abilities, and there will be ample opportunity to ask questions.
- What is WordPress and how does it work?
- WordPress.com vs. WordPress.org
- Why (and maybe why not) to choose WordPress
- Setting up a hosting account and installing WordPress
- Publishing your first post or page
- A guided tour of the admin interface
- Choosing a theme
- What are plugins?
- What is Search Engine Optimisation (SEO)?
- Installing and setting up Yoast SEO to improve search engine performance
- A little more about SEO
- An introduction to CSS
- Using the style inspector in your browser
- Design basics: colour schemes and typography
- How to use Google Fonts in your CSS
- Why and how to create a child theme
- Recommended plugins. This is also a chance to discuss specific plugins that may be suited to your particular needs.
- Some useful design and technical resources
- Some useful information and tutorials to expand your knowledge further
The class will focus on creating a self-hosted WordPress.org site (as opposed to .com). If you don’t already have a domain and hosting set up, you will need to bring a payment card along in order to purchase this. For most entry-level users, this will cost no more than £5/month, and will be purchased directly from a third-party hosting company. If you would rather not set this up on the day, you’ll be provided with a temporary domain, however you will not be able to keep your site at the end of the day.
Courses are taught by Dave Hall, who has been building custom sites with WordPress for over seven years. Detailed handouts will be provided to all participants. Everyone who takes part will go home with a fully functioning – if basic – website, and a grounding in the concepts they will need to take their designs further.
If you’ve any questions before you book, please contact Dave on firstname.lastname@example.org or 07714954705.